A brief overview of the 2020 Tobacco Selling Season shows that the industry realised over MK125 Billion from over 110 Million kilograms of the leaf so far sold. Outlined here are some highlights.
- Burley average price has remained stable from week 16 to week 17 at US$ 1.41/kg.
- The average price for FCV continues to improve from week 11 from US$2.16/kg to US$2.30/kg by week 17 and it is better comparing to the same period last year as it was US$2.24/kg by week17.
- Dark fired average price is US$1.49/kg which is better than the average price of last year at the same period which stood at US$1.45/kg by week 17.
- The average price for all types of tobacco remained stable from week 16 to week 17 at an average of US$1.53 but is better in comparison to the same period last season week 17 averaged US$1.47/kg.
SALES BY FLOORS
- Limbe Selling Floors continues to have a greater average price at US$ 1.67/Kg for all types of tobacco in comparison to the other Selling Floors.
- Mzuzu Selling Floors has the lowest average price at US$ 1.46/Kg for all types of tobacco.
- There has been a decrease of 21% on Volumes sold at a national level in comparison to the same period in 2019 and a decrease of 18% on proceeds realised in comparison to the same period in 2019.